Friday 28 March 2014

Restoration - Mercedes-Benz W126 300SE (part 1)




This is part 1 of my Mercedes-Benz W126 300SE restoration. In my earlier post titled ‘My first ‘sort of’ classic car’, I wrote about the Mercedes-Benz W126 and how I had actually purchased one some years back. Here I will give a brief step-by-step explanation on the restoration process. As mentioned in the earlier post, I do not have any pictures left due to a hard disk crash but I’ll try to explain so hopefully it could still be understood.

When I bought the car, it was immediately brought from the dealership to a friend of mine (who unfortunately has since passed on) for the restoration and naturally I was planning to do a thorough restoration on the car. The car was basically stripped off the interior and exterior parts and was sent to the paint shop. And there the process of paint removal started and obviously the car looked very unattractive once the paint and body panels were off. But to me and my painter’s amazement, the car’s body was so straight, had never been involved in an accident and the best part was that it didn’t have even a spot of rust on it which of course left the painter all smiles.

It was then painted using Glasurit paint in Brabus Black. It was a very deep black and the gloss on it was amazing and I coupled the lower plastic panels with a medium grey.

End of part 1

No comments:

Post a Comment