Monday 4 August 2014

Restoration - Mercedes-Benz W108 280S (part 2)


It’s been a very long and eventful few months getting my Mercedes-Benz W108 280S completed. Previously I had done part 1 of the write-up ‘Restoration – Mercedes-Benz W108 280S (part 1)’ and so here’s the continuation. With all the wait getting the engine done, getting the carburettors done as well as all the welding and getting some chroming done, the car was sent for a new coat of paint about 2 months back.

It wasn’t easy choosing a colour that matched the car. Of course I didn’t want to choose one that would be too dull and boring. I had also ruled out dark colours as I felt it gave the car too much of an ‘old school’ look which was one I was not looking for. I finally decided on a blue which was not exactly a blue from the original colour codes for the W108 but a blue which I thought would somewhat make it an attractive car and a definite head-turner. And so I went for this light blue and once painted, it was definitely a sight to behold and even my painter (who was initially sceptical about the colour I chose and repeatedly asked me to make sure I’m choosing that colour) was impressed by it.

And so, she’s now back at my place waiting to be on the road as I’m yet to install my carburettors which went through a sort of a refurbishing. They are the original Zenith carbs which came with the car and I intend to keep it with the car to maintain originality. There are a few more bits and pieces to be done and so, I will update you guys at the next part of this write-up. Until then, below are some of the shots taken during the process.



My Series III and my Merc


No comments:

Post a Comment